Sunday, October 19, 2008

River rides and waterfalls

Dan and I headed to Kanchanaburi and the first day there we did the usual errands, finding an internet cafe and setting up stuff for the next day. When we finished we eyed the motorbike stand, they are similar to vespas, you can see it in my pictures. Dan was excited to rent them, I was less then eager. Honestly, I had my moms repetitive warnings on the danger of motorbikes running through my head. Sorry mom, the bike won. I practiced a bit in the alley next to the rental shop, were we got them for for the day for $5.00. We first visited the bridge over the river Kwai (like the 1950's movie) and then decided we had had enough of the cities and towns and their choking pollution and headed out into the countryside. We started off on the main road out to the country and then cut off to a much smaller one that took us through small villages and farms. We continued in the direction of the mountains and the view only became more gorgeous the farther we drove. I have to say, I felt pretty damn cool on the bike cruising along, although I suspect the Thais didn't think it that unique as 50% of them drive motorbikes. Actually all ages ride them. Just yesterday I saw a little girl about 9 years old with her 4 old brother on the back driving through Kanchanaburi. It's also not uncommon to see parents holding their infant between their legs with one arm and driving the motorbike with the other. As Dan puts, the 40 year old mother in me cringes every time I see a baby on a bike.

The following day we signed up for a tour of local attractions in the area. The day began at 7:00am, one of our earliest so far, and we peeled ourselves out of bed and off to breakfast and into the tour van at 8:00. We were joined on the day long tour by a french couple and two English guys, Tom & Rich. We started with elephant rides around an "elephant camp". The trip was bitter sweet as I strained to enjoy it, but failing as I passed a baby elephant tied on a two foot long chain around its ankle to a metal post. It wasn't alone in its misery and was surrounded by other adult elephants in the same short ankle chains. I was relieved when we were finished and was much more excited for the bamboo raft trip down the river in which I could be safe in assuming no animals were hurt in the process. The ride was quiet and tranquil with the only noise coming from the birds in the jungle surrounding us.

When the ride ended the tour van took us to Erawan National Park with the amazing seven tier waterfall. The water was as glassy blue as glaciers. You could see the foot long brightly colored fish and 3 feet below them to the stony bottom. You could swim on each tier and we started on the 3rd one which was 8 feet deep and perfect for floating on your back and gazing up at the moss green jungle foliage above. Dan had hoped to see some monkeys playing in the trees, but unfortunately the commotion of the swimmers kept them away for the moment. At the 4th tier were, as the guide so creatively put it, the two breast. The enormous round rocks are perfect to slide down. I chose the safe route and went sitting down, but Dan and the two English guys went on their stomachs and sitting backwards. The fifth level surprised us with clear blue pools flowing one into the next and jungle vines dipping the water. I climbed from pool to pool grasping at the slippery rocks, and stopping at each one to appreciate the jungle and how blessed I am to be here.

I'm running out of Internet time so I'll give you a quick summary of the Tigers and you can check out the pictures and videos and I'll write more later, promise! (Also, the pictures squish when I turned them upright, we really haven't shrunk or gained 20 pounds. The pictures are better though if you click slideshow) The next day we went to a Tiger sanctuary where we signed up for a morning program and their were only two other tourist there. We played, bottled fed and swam with 2 and 4 month old Lions. We also walked the 7 and 9 month old lions down to the cave where they played for an hour 2 feet from us in the water and then did the same thing with the older one and two year olds!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home