Wednesday, January 07, 2009

banana pancakes and rice paper rolls

To get to the next city, Hue, we took an overnight sleeper bus. There were rows of bunk beds extending to the back of the bus and we chose the big bed/mat at the very back. When we crawled in their were two girls already there who were none to pleased to have to share the large bed with us. The girls got off an hour two later and the bus driver put a couple in their place. I had known what would probably happen next. In Vietnam if there is not a clearly defined seat with no possibility of squeezing someone in next to you then you can be assured more people will be forced in. In this case, around 11pm the driver directed a 5th person to our 4 person bed. We all attempted to protest but knew from the start it was futile. I resigned myself to the situation and spent the rest of the night crammed between Dan and a British journalist. While it was uncomfortable at the time, that's the type of funny memory that will pop into my head years from now and still make me laugh out loud.


"the food critic"

Hue was a relatively quiet town for Vietnam and the tourist section was small so it was easy to spend time where the locals live. It's not hard to get comfortable in the tourist area with all of the amenities you need right outside your hotel. Dan has been really good in pushing us to get out to the more local areas so we can see what the cities are really like. Hue is known for their great food, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. My favorite lunch spot was a restaurant over looking the river that is owned by a deaf mute couple. I loved to order this one dish with meat, grilled vegetables, and greens and you roll it all up in rice paper and dip it into a peanut sauce. My favorite dessert sport was a small restaurant that served the best banana chocolate pancakes. Pancakes here are a common dessert and usually resemble a crepe or a very thick traditional pancake. In this case it was the latter and filled with sliced bananas and melted chocolate chips. I've become a bit of a banana pancake connoisseur.


Our second day in Hue we rented motorbikes and drove to the countryside covered in rice fields. We stopped at a historic bridge our book mentioned. The bridge itself was a let down, but the old woman sitting inside made it a whole lot more interesting. Motioning with her hand she called me over to sit next to her and talk. Her face was rolled with wrinkles and covered in carefully applied bold colored makeup. Where her eyebrows had once been were two thick black pencil lines spanning across her forehead. Her thin wispy hair was pulled into a tight bun on top of her head. She was quite the character and asked me questions about where I was from and my age, then she got down to business. She took my hand, twice the size of her small frail one, and traced the lines across my palm with her thin finger. "You want me to read your palm?" She asked. "I will tell you when you get married, if husband will be handsome. I tell you if you have babies. Oh, you're going to have many babies, many babies." I smiled at the offer but politely declined. She was definitely one of my favorite parts of the motorbike ride that day outside Hue.


Photos


Videos

Dan's Blog

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I’ve never ever heard of a public sleeper bus before but it makes sense in an area where trains and planes are scarce. Doesn’t sound too comfy though.

I very much enjoy the oriental cuisine. Like the food you were eating in the video Mu Shu Pork, one of my favorites, is wrapped in rice paper first spread with sauce not dipped as you were doing. At least that’s the way I eat it. I never knew what that delicious sauce was called until DiMei told me it has two names, either duck sauce or cum sauce. I insisted from that point on … for the rest of our lives … we refer to it as the former.
Two restaurants run by deaf mutes in the same neighborhood? That made me think there might be a an unusually high number of deaf mutes in Vietnam possibly due to the after effects of the defoliant Agent Orange used during the war. But a cursory web check didn’t show anything along those lines. I did though stumble across another traveler’s log in which she mentioned visiting a restaurant in Hue run by a deaf mute. She posted a pic of herself with the owner at travelpod.com/travel-photo/rochelle1/indochina/1128499620/img_0352.jpg/tpod.html which was captioned “Me & My Deaf Mute Mate” making me think she’s an Australian. Maybe you’ll recognize him.

With regards to the woman sitting inside the bridge, people’s faces definitely get more interesting as they get older. The faces of some whose time on this earth has been especially hard seem to be a map of their lives. You wrote, “Where her eyebrows had once been were two thick black pencil lines spanning across her forehead.” Unfortunately I’ve seen that many times before in very old women who awkwardly try to cover their thinning eyebrows with clownishly thick eyebrow pencil. But I must be behind the times because last year a rather stylish woman in the cab casually told me she had had her eyebrows tattooed. It was a masterful job because only when I looked very closely, which she encouraged me to do, did I see she was telling the truth. Hmmm, do you think that would work on the scalp?

Lots of love,
Uncle Michael

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home